If you’ve been bitten by a dog, there are several steps you should take from the perspective of a lawyer who handles dog bite cases:
- Get Treated: Obviously, the most important thing is to immediately seek medical attention. Even if the bite doesn’t seem that bad, the wound can become infected and result in serious health consequences. It is very important that you get seen by a healthcare professional as soon as possible.
- Report the Bite: Be sure to report the bite to the local animal control agency or police department as soon as you can. Typically they will look into the dog’s vaccination status and make determinations about whether the animal should be quarantined.
- Find Out Who Owns the Dog: If you’ve been injured in a dog bite incident, try to find out who owns the dog and if possible, the breed of dog. Alabama law has distinctions about how certain breeds of dog are handled from a legal standpoint. Also, get the contact information of any witnesses to the attack.
- Document Your Injuries: Take photos of the injuries throughout the healing process.
- Contact a Personal Injury Lawyer: If you’re the victim of a dog bite, you may be entitled to compensation for your medical expenses, lost wages and injuries. Promptly contact a personal injury lawyer who specializes in dog bite cases so you can understand your legal rights and options.
- File a Claim: Your lawyer will help you file a claim against the dog owner’s homeowner’s insurance policy or pursue legal action against the owner if necessary. It’s important to act quickly because the law puts legal deadlines, known as a statute of limitations, in place for filing a claim.
Dog owners are responsible for the actions of their pets. If you’ve been bitten by a dog, you have the right to seek compensation for your injuries. Don’t hesitate to contact a seasoned Birmingham dog bite lawyer from Alabama Personal Injury Lawyers, LLC for assistance through each step of the claims process.